One of only two lighthouse islands in New South Wales, it is situated approximately 18km from Coffs Harbour.
The buildings were constructed in 1880 and are considered to be the oldest in the area.
The island is not accessible to the public, it is under the care of National Parks & Wildlife.
The lightstation was automated in 1975.
The Head Keepers Quarters and Assistant Keepers Quarters have been abandoned since 1975.
Fly by helicopter to this remote historic island for a Walking Guided Tour by National Parks & Wildlife Rangers.
Tours are limited during the year.
In the year 1856 the desirability of erecting a lighthouse on one of the Solitary Islands was discussed by commissioners appointed by the Governments of New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania, to confer respecting the matter of lighthouses on the Australian coast. Click "Read More" to continue.
The Lighthouse tower is a conical, or slightly tapered, cylindrical structure of mass concrete construction finished externally with white painted cement render. It is maintained by AMSA and remains as an operational navigation aid.
Click "Read More" to continue
The Lighthouse was automated in 1975 with all Keeper's and families leaving the island at this time. The island has been abandoned since 1975, the Keeper's Quarters being left to the elements and the birds!
Access is restricted with the only chance to visit the island and view the quarters is by the tours held by National Parks & Wildlife and Precision Helicopters.
There are four principal building structures on the Island, comprising:
* The Lighthouse Tower
* Two semi detached dwellings for the Assistant Keepers
* The elevated Jetty structure and store
The Friends of South Solitary Island Lighthouse (FOSSIL) is a local Coffs Harbour group.
The volunteers conduct working bees on the island to help with building maintenance and restoration.
South Solitary Island is situated between the Bellinger and Clarence Rivers, off the east coast of Australia, about 18 km from Coffs Harbour and 6 km from Signal Point, now Emerald Beach.
Copyright © 2021 South Solitary Island - All Rights Reserved.